Ashford and St Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Established in 1998 from the merger of the Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals, the Trust has been through continuous development and improvement to reach its current position as the largest provider of acute hospital services to Surrey residents. It became a Foundation Trust in December 2010. Ashford and St. Peter’s Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust serves a population of over 410,000 people living in the boroughs of Runnymede, Spelthorne, Woking and parts of Elmbridge, Hounslow, Surrey Heath and further. The Trust employs almost 4,500 individual members of staff and has a whole range of services across its hospital sites.
- Ashford & St. Peter’s NHS Foundation Trust run two district general hospital in North West Surrey
- The Director of Workforce Transformation needed to find a way to develop senior leaders’ resilience and self-awareness, so the team could function effectively during changing strategic priorities
- Additionally, senior positions in 2014 including the CEO and Chief Nurse had become vacant and the Board needed support to recruit a well-balanced high performing team, and avoid recruiting in their own image
Lumina Learning Solution
Board Development Sessions: provided common language and a ongoing understanding of leaders’ strengths and Overextensions. Supported feedback conversations as the Trust went through changes.
1:1 Coaching Sessions for all 18 Board members: ensured leaders’ Personal Development Plans and feedback conversations included Lumina Spark
Transformation Board and Associate Directors sessions: enabled the Trust to cascade the Spark model and provide a common language regarding personal development
Recruitment Portraits for Senior Appointment including doctors: ensuring cultural and capability fit
Onboarding and job-share coaching: support and development at the start of new roles and jobsharers
Spark Qualification: HR, L&D and Recruitment team, so they could provide coaching support
Providing a ‘safe language’ and tool…
- Our view of the world is limited.
- We need information of others to complete the picture.
- It helps you to grow, develop, and to perform in a more effective way.
- It helps your team to grow into a high-performing team
The HR Director for Workforce Transformation reports the following results:
- Improved Board level team performance, through better understanding of personal Overextensions and personal accountability for behaviours and development needs
- The trust have gained a ‘safe’ language for giving and receiving feedback and Lumina Spark is included in all individuals Appraisals and Personal Development Plans
- It has significantly improved the leaders ability to identify their ongoing development needs by ‘tuning up’ behaviours and tempering Overextended behaviours
- The Board have gained an awareness in the recruitment process of recruits fit against the Trust’s values as well as the competencies for the job
- It has provided a better onboarding process when leaders are recruited into a post in terms of understanding leaders’ ongoing development needs
Louise McKenzie, Director of Workforce Transformation
“The interventions have helped us to be inclusive and fit for the future, by providing really insightful information for the team on our leadership qualities, and the collective strengths we have as a team.”
Subscribe here for further information on developing teams and leadership.
Read other Case Studies